About The Boulevard
In 1939, Carstensen Inc. removed two floors from the Merchant’s Hotel in downtown Johnstown, which was situated on the site of the Cambria County Transit Center. The salvageable items were transported here and used in the construction of this two story building. John and Frances Deutsch operated a meat market and diner on the ground level, above which stood a three bedroom apartment. As times changed, so did owners and names of this facility which included The Office Lounge and My Friends.
Our ownership has resulted in many changes. The first set of doors you pass through originally hung at the Beth Shalom Synagogue, which now houses the Ferndale Elementary School. The second set of doors were the portal for the Woolworth Five and Dime Building in downtown Johnstown, which is now the site of the AmeriServ Building. The booths within the bar were retrieved from a Philadelphia Hotel. Additionally, the fire box pull hung outside the cafeteria of the former Johnstown Central High School. The phone booth, located in our game room, once served the Newark, New Jersey, Grand Central Station. While the banker seating employs a pew from the former St. Rochus Church. The apartment upstairs has been renovated into a separate dining area and our present kitchen. An Atrium room was added to the upstairs in the Fall of 1996. The 120 seat Boulevard Grill Warehouse banquet facility was completed in the Spring of 1999. This single story building most recently housed the Car Rite Oil Co. until 1998. A special feature of the Boulevard Grill Warehouse is the seating in the vestibule, obtained from the Jennerstown Mountain Playhouse, which was originally from Pittsburgh’s Stanley Theatre. The vestibule itself is constructed with modified door panels from the Woolworth Building. From your sports fans, the ivy filling the planter in from to the warehouse is from clippings taken from Chicago’s Historic Wrigley Field.
In our newest room, The Speakeasy, we have incorporated salvaged bricks and a 1903 coal chute from the Hub, which was located at the corner of Franklin and Vine Streets.